[Live-devel] Trick play support

Morgan Tørvolt morgan.torvolt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 07:31:54 PST 2007

> Interesting point. I know the box works without issues on 12mbit
> streams, but I haven't tried any higher than that. (more than 12mbit
> for SDTV is quite silly anyways. ;)

I have to agree on the sillyness =)

The channel I saw was average 8Mbit variable bitrate stream (2 streams
shared 16Mbit, with minimum set to 4 if i remember correctly. I know
this because I worked at the earth station transmitting the two
channels, and knew the configuration of the equipment =) ). The
problem could of course be caused by poor variable bitrate handling
causing a need for reencoding to CBR. I never really considered that
before just now. The stream was possibly high bitrate after encoding
also, but reencoded streams not using 4:2:2 and I frame detection will
give some pretty bad results most of the time. All I noticed was that
it, as opposed to all the other services, this one was reencoded.
Other services also had such high average bitrates, but none had VBR.
I don't know if that information helps you any, as I realize now that
I did not give you much to work with. A test of the VBR handling could
possibly give you a hint, but I guess that these IPTV STBs usually
have the same MPEG2 decoders as ordinary satellite STBs.

-Morgan-