[Live-devel] Frame Rate and (soft) real-time extensions

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Mar 9 16:26:40 PST 2007

>I have noticed that in some classes, there's a
>durationInMicroseconds var which appears as a
>parameter but it is never set with a value different
>than 0 (default).

At present, the "fDurationInMicroseconds" field is currently used
only when *sending* RTP packets, to figure out how long to wait until
sending the next packet.  This means that - in practice - the field
need be set only when data is being streamed from a file.  (If data
is being received - or if data is being streamed from a live source -
then it's not important that that variable be set.)

>For example: if I want to make a streamer which
>streams exactly at 25 fps, should i add these
>extensions?

Trying to stream packets at a perfectly even rate - without any
jitter, is pointless.  The network will always add some jitter
anyway, and the receiving client(s) - if implemented correctly - will
have enough buffer memory to absorb network jitter.