[Live-devel] Query for Live555 forum

Morgan Tørvolt morgan.torvolt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 02:54:31 PDT 2007

Hi

64kB or even 256kB could still be way to little if you have a highly
variable bitrate stream. Is it buffer underrun you get or is it buffer
overrun? You can sort of check this
Try one without variable bitrate first to see if that works, and also
with single service transportstream.
I have never tested live with multiple service files. There could be
something going wrong in the transportstreamframer if one of the
services has wierd PCR timestamps or something like that.

Ross:
I don't think many STB producer has much more buffer than that. It is:
64kB / (8Mbit/s)/(8bit/byte) = 64ms buffer on a high bandwidth stream,
and of course double that or more on a low bandwidth stream. I guess
you have access to the same NDA documents from Amino that I do, so you
can check what they use yourself. Amino is definately still going
strong, so I do not agree with your assessment there.
There is of course also a decoding buffer that keeps the I and P
frames for decoding of the B frames, but it must still be fed data
according to the DTS in the PES headers.
Most local area lans and ADSL network connections have maximum 5ms
delay from server, and usually the network jitter is much less than
that. The reason for making the buffer like this is as noted earlier,
the low delay trick play functionality. Having a two second buffer is
not ideal when going ffwd at 32x and pressing play when you see where
you want to watch from. It will take you a minute forward before you
are back at 1x. That would give a bad user experience.
There is some logic behind it all I believe. It puts alot of
responsibility on the server though, but in a total system cost
analysis you would also want a more expensive server rather than more
expensive clients most of the time. Especially in big installations
with multicast and thousands of clients. This is why I have been
trying to push for better timing of the transportstream data in Live.

-Morgan-