[Live-devel] Best way to stream MPEG2 Program Stream

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu May 3 06:18:00 PDT 2007

>We need to stream MPEG2 Program Stream from a live source (encoder)
>to a client over a LAN for client's recording. The requirement is
>that client receives the original MPEG2 Program Stream from the
>encoder, nothing more, nothing less. We can tolerate packet delay,
>but can *not* tolerate packet loss. What's the best way to do this
>using Live555 library code?

There really isn't a good way to do this - especially not in a way
that's standardized.  (Using RTP, Program Stream data is usually sent
as two separate RTP streams - one for video, the other for audio.)

Because you can tolerate packet delay, but not packet loss, you
should just transfer your Program Stream data using TCP rather than
RTP.  I.e. just use "scp" or "ftp" - i.e., not using our software.