[Live-devel] please help me !

Gustaf Räntilä opera at kth.se
Mon May 7 09:52:13 PDT 2007

Hoang Nguyen Vi Cam Violon wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm setting up an RTSP lab for reseaching.
> I choose live555 streaming server for server and VLC(with live555
> library) for client. OS : Fedora core 5.
>
> SERVER : (192.168.27.73)  (Fedora core 5)
>     - live555MediaServer.bin at /home/hnvcam
>     - media file : cow.mpg at /home/hnvcam
>
> CLIENT1 : (192.168.27.73) (Fedora core 5)
>     - vlc rtsp://0.0.0.0:8554/cow.mpg
>
> CLIENT2 : (192.168.27.235) (Windows XP SP2)
>     - vlc rtsp://192.168.27.73:8554/cow.mpg
>
> When I build the lab as above, The client always show the error
> "Unable to determine our source address. This computer has an invalid
> IP address : 0x0"
> And the server also show it. The client doesn't play.
>
> So what's wrong of my configuration. Please help me to solve it. Thank
> you.
>
> Cam Hoang.
>

> Sincerely,
> Cam Hoang

Hello,

Make sure your /etc/hostname, /etc/hosts etc are correct. One problem
can be that you don't have your server hostname in the hosts file, while
having two (or more) configured interfaces.

Specifically, check that you have a line:
[your primary ip (or rather the one you will stream From)] [your hostname]
in /etc/hosts, and not just 127.0.0.1.

Also check the order of the hostnames in the same file on the line
starting with 127.0.0.1, and make sure any "localhost" comes last.

However, liveMedia should really have the option to specify which
interface to stream from, of course, and not do some funky checks which
doesn't work in all cases (as of now). Specifically if you don't want to
stream on all interfaces (for security reasons or whatever), but that's
another matter. I used to have a patch for this but I doubt it'd be
interesting. My last patch (for increased authorization possibilities)
obviously wasn't.

Listening on 0.0.0.0 (which liveMedia does in your case - INADDR_ANY)
doesn't work properly (and shouldn't be expected to) if these things
aren't set up right.

Gustaf