[Live-devel] SeqNo

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon May 28 17:33:16 PDT 2007

>But I can not know if there are multiple frames
>lost or just one. If I could know how many RTPpackets each frame is
>composed on at live level it would be enough to find out how many frames
>were lost.

As you noted, the "RTPSource" abstraction delivers complete 'frames'.
(However, the term 'frames' is somewhat of a misnomer, because they
do not always correspond to entire video frames - e.g., for MPEG-1 or
2, it delivers complete 'slices'; for H.264, it delivers complete NAL
units).  The number of RTP packets that made up each frame is
(deliberately) not exposed outside the "RTPSource" interface.  Data
receivers (e.g., audio or video decoders) should not care about this
information.

However, if you just want to find out packet loss rates, then you can
do so by looking at the "RTPReceptionStats" data.  (Alternatively,
the data sender (i.e., server) can look at RTCP Reception Report
("RR") coming back from the receiver; this data is recorded in a
"RTPTransmissionStats" object.)