[Live-devel] Multicast Interface Addr

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu May 31 13:17:57 PDT 2007

>Re:  But my change does not disable the ability to change the
>interface from the default.  The address parameter on the "bind"
>call specifies what destination addresses the socket will accept in
>the arriving packets.  If you use INADDR_ANY, you can accept data
>which specifies any address as the destination address.  If you
>specifiy ReceivingInterfaceAddr as, for example, 192.168.38.24, then
>your socket can ONLY receive data which was sent with 192.168.38.24
>as the destination.  Data sent to that socket with a multicast
>address won't be received.

I don't whether or not this is universal behavior, or just something
that's peculiar to your OS.  In any case, the current code
("bind()"ing to "ReceivingInterfaceAddr") is necessary for unicast
streams to work properly (if "ReceivingInterfaceAddr" was set to
something other than INADDR_ANY).

The best way to control the interface on which you receive multicast
packets is to ensure that the OS has a proper route for multicast
packets on that interface.