[Live-devel] Multicast Interface Addr

xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com
Thu May 31 14:50:21 PDT 2007

In any case, the current code ("bind()"ing to "ReceivingInterfaceAddr") is
necessary for unicast streams to work properly (if
"ReceivingInterfaceAddr" was set to something other than INADDR_ANY).

Re: So when you make this change, you are not able to receive unicast
data?  My Fedora Core 5 system does not have a problem receiving unicast
data if the change is made.  Yes, the call to "bind" is required for the
socket to be able to receive data sent to the desired port number.  Are
you saying that if the socket is not also bound to the
ReceivingInterfaceAddr that my socket would receive data sent to
192.168.38.24 port 1592 and all data sent to 10.145.223.24 port 1592,
therefore hopelessly screwing up my unicast reception?
If that is the case, then can the problem be solved by binding the socket
to the IP address to which desired datagrams are specifically sent, that
address being either ReceivingInterfaceAddr in the case of Unicast or the
multicast destination address in the case of Multicast?

I do have a functional multicast route on all 5 of my target network cards
and both of my host network cards.  I need to receive multicast on eth 4
on the target and eth 1 on the host.

Thanks for discussing this with me :)
Xochitl