[Live-devel] Create and Handle Custom RTSP Response

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Nov 5 16:20:51 PST 2007

>The remaining piece of the puzzle for me deals with a web client
>that I have written that provides interaction with the live stream.
>I am trying to get a timestamp back from the media server to the
>client, and ultimately available to a Javascript function on the
>page.  I can formulate a RTSP request from the client in the form of
>a URL that triggers an internal method in the media server which
>provides the current timestamp.  How can I get this time stamp back
>to the client?

What exactly is this "timestamp" supposed to be?  You realize, I
hope, that every RTP packet sent by the server (and received by the
client) already has a timestamp, which gets mapped to an accurate
"presentation time" that the client software (e.g., VLC) sees.

>  I'm working on trying to "send" back a response w/ the timestamp
>via the RTSP session

If you're trying to do something that's outside the RTSP/RTP/RTCP
standard, then this probably isn't a good idea.