[Live-devel] Create and Handle Custom RTSP Response

Christopher Shumway cshumway at airvisual.com
Mon Nov 5 07:30:26 PST 2007

Hello,

I've had great success working with the information and feedback
provided on this devel post.  I've created a live555 media server which
extends the DeviceSource class with one of my own (reads MPEG-4 frames
off DVR).  Thank you all!

The remaining piece of the puzzle for me deals with a web client that I
have written that provides interaction with the live stream.  I am
trying to get a timestamp back from the media server to the client, and
ultimately available to a Javascript function on the page.  I can
formulate a RTSP request from the client in the form of a URL that
triggers an internal method in the media server which provides the
current timestamp.  How can I get this time stamp back to the client?
I'm working on trying to "send" back a response w/ the timestamp via the
RTSP session - but having difficulty with how to manage/receive this
with my client.  I am using the VLC ActiveX control as the player, and
using Javascript to interact with it.  (I'd rather not have to delve
into the source code of VLC in order to handle this).

I'm totally open to "that sounds crazy, try it this way..." approaches
as well.

Thanx again,

Chris