[Live-devel] LIVE Design? STL / Data Types / snprintf / strDup

xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com
Thu Nov 8 11:21:35 PST 2007

A couple of general design questions, if you please:
1.  Is there specific reasoning that LIVE555 does not use STL?  I have not
worked with the STL before, so I can't really answer this question when it
comes up.
2.  I saw in the online "todo" list that there was an item to change
certain data types in the library.  Is it your intent to change ALL
standard data types to the u_int32_t - styled types?  Or only when the
type size is specified by a standard (RTSP/RTP/RTCP, etc.)?
3.  I notice in Media.cpp at line 181 there's a comment saying not to use
"snprintf" because it is not on some systems.  Are there other calls like
this that are intentionally avoided?  I did notice that you created
strDup.cpp.  Which <string> functions do you consider "allowed" when
working with your code?

Thanks
Xo