[Live-devel] LIVE Design? STL / Data Types / snprintf / strDup

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Nov 8 12:57:23 PST 2007

>1.  Is there specific reasoning that LIVE555 does not use STL?

Basically, because I want this software to be useful for environments
(e.g., embedded systems) for which STL might not be available, or
might incur an excessive memory footprint if it were used.

>2.  I saw in the online "todo" list that there was an item to change
>certain data types in the library.  Is it your intent to change ALL
>standard data types to the u_int32_t - styled types?  Or only when
>the type size is specified by a standard (RTSP/RTP/RTCP, etc.)?

The latter.

>3.  I notice in Media.cpp at line 181 there's a comment saying not
>to use "snprintf" because it is not on some systems.  Are there
>other calls like this that are intentionally avoided?  I did notice
>that you created strDup.cpp.  Which <string> functions do you
>consider "allowed" when working with your code?

Any software that you write that uses the software is yours, so you
can use whatever functions you like.  (Of course, you really should
not be *modifying* the existing code; instead, you should just be
extending it or adding your own code that links with it.)