[Live-devel] Player application

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Nov 24 23:30:11 PST 2007

>all of the receiver programs in liveMedia/testProgs are dumping their
>output to stdout or into files.
>What is the easiest way to display a video actually received via
>testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver for instance?

Well, if you have a video player that can read from stdin, then you
could pipe the video (from "testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver") into it.

>Is vlc (which is a bit too complex for me on the first sight)

There are prebuilt binary versions of VLC available on their web site.

VLC is easy - just enter the appropriate "rtsp://" URL into its 'open' dialog.

>  the only
>software which can be used to benefit from the streaming-power of liveMedia?

No, there's also MPlayer (although VLC is better), and probably other
media players as well.