[Live-devel] Player application

Oliver Roll mail at oliroll.de
Sat Nov 24 23:57:18 PST 2007

Ross Finlayson schrieb:
>> all of the receiver programs in liveMedia/testProgs are dumping their
>> output to stdout or into files.
>> What is the easiest way to display a video actually received via
>> testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver for instance?
>
> Well, if you have a video player that can read from stdin, then you
> could pipe the video (from "testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver") into it.
>
>> Is vlc (which is a bit too complex for me on the first sight)
>
> There are prebuilt binary versions of VLC available on their web site.

Building standard VLC is not the problem. I added modifications to
liveMedia to stream RTP/RTCP over SCTP instead of UDP.
It's not really clear to me how vlc makes use of liveMedia. If I have a
working liveMedia streamer and receiver application is building vlc with
the modified liveMedia sufficient to use the new features in VLC?
Probably not.
Since my work took some time, I'm looking for an easy way to display the
streamed videos. Piping is a good idea, I'll have to look which player
accepts input via stdin. xine seems to support this.

Regards,
Oliver