[Live-devel] problems with packet loss

Julian Albesser julian at graphics.cs.uni-sb.de
Tue Nov 27 10:33:23 PST 2007

Hello!

I am streaming H263plus and I have have two question concerning packet loss.

At the receiving site at MediaSink, doing:

rtp_source = dynamic_cast<RTPSource*>(fSource);
rtp_source->curPacketRTPSeqNum()

it seems that some packets get lost. There are always 12 packets
arriving correctly and then 7 packets are lost.

However, RTPTransmissionStats::totNumPacketsLost() tells me, that no
packets are lost.

Am I misinterpreting curPacketRTPSeqNum() ?

Secondly, if I have bad network conditions (now even
RTPTransmissionStats::totNumPacketsLost()) tells me, that packets get
lost) I have the following problem:

If I look at "presentationTime" at the receiver, the time difference
between two arriving packets is always the same, even if packets in
between got lost. E.g. if packets No.1 and 2 arrive in a row, then the
time difference is x. But if packets No.1 and  No.3  arrive  in  row
because No.2 got lost, then their  time difference is also  x (although
it should be 2*x)  How does that come?

One last general question: With H263plus, can I assume that one
RTP-Frame always contains one Video-Frame?

Thank you for any comments

Julian Albesser