[Live-devel] How to play a video file in real-time from Internet?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 28 01:23:07 PST 2007

>Hi everyoneÅC
>
>I use testOnDemandRTSPServer to stream a video (has a format, say "WY")
>and can use openRTSP to receive the video stream and save it as a file,
>named video-A-1.
>
>Also, I have a player that can read from a WY
>format video file and display it. Now, what I
>want to do is: let the player play the WY video
>from the testOnDemandRTSPServer in real-time.
>
>I thought a lot and still can not find a
>solution. Can anybody give me some advice?

Can your video player take input from 'stdin'?
If so, use "openRTSP", with the "-v" option, to
write the received video stream to stdout, and
pipe this into your video player.

If your video player can't take input from
'stdin' (or a named pipe), then you will need to
modify your video player client (assuming that
you have the source code) to include our RTSP
client code, as VLC has done.  Alternatively, you
could modify VLC (which already includes our RTSP
client code) to include your video decoder, and
use VLC as your player.