[Live-devel] Can I use mplayer to capture a video stream from wis-stream to a file?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Nov 30 14:46:09 PST 2007

I assume that you can play the RTSP stream correctly (by typing the
appropriate "rtsp://" URL into MPlayer (or VLC, which I like
better)).  If so, then the problem is not that you can't capture the
video stream - you can, using "openRTSP", for example.  Instead, the
problem is merely that you can't *play* the recorded file.  The
reason for this is that because the video stream is MPEG-4 (the
default video codec used by "wis-streamer"), the recorded file is in
a format (MPEG-4 Video Elementary Stream) that MPlayer or VLC cannot
play directly.

If you really want your video data to be recorded in a format that
can later be played back by most media players, then you should
instead tell "wis-streamer" to use MPEG-2 video (using the "-mpeg2"
option).  Alternatively, you could ask it to generate a MPEG-2
*Transport Stream*, by using "-mpegtransport <audio-bitrate-in-kpbs>"
option.  If you do this, then you will be able to record a *single*
file that includes both audio and video.