[Live-devel] RTP-over-TCP streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Oct 2 17:20:26 PDT 2007

>I have a problem when accessing live server's stream  using
>RTP-over-TCP as opposed to UDP.
>
>I have used the testOnDemandRTSPServer example to play a stream of
>of mpeg4 encodered frames (elementary stream) and was successful
>with both VLC and Quicktime as well as RealPlayer, using unicast UDP.
>
>But when I try to connect to the server via TCP (RTP over TCP), the
>video is played for a short time and then stops (with a reports -
>due to a network problem).  This short time duration can be anywhere
>between 30 seconds and 10 minutes.
>
>Which is the right way to stream RTP over TCP? Should I use a
>different example from live than testOnDemandRTSPServer?

No, using "testOnDemandRTSPServer" should be sufficient.  Our RTSP
server implementation automatically supports RTP-over-TCP (for
unicast streams), it requested.

I don't know of any issue with the code that could be causing your
problem.  When you stream RTP-over-TCP, are you doing so using the
same network as RTP-over-UDP?  If not, then perhaps there's something
(e.g., a firewall) in the middle of your RTP-over-TCP network that's
causing your problems?