[Live-devel] RTSP streaming using LIVE555

Nikhil Naik nikhiln at paxit.com
Thu Oct 25 14:40:45 PDT 2007

Hey Ross,

I was looking at using the LIVE555 libraries to stream video from a camera
source
using rtsp. I have already compiled and debugged the samples. I was curious
know if there was anything in the samples that you would recommend to stream

a "Test Pattern".

:What we are trying to do is stream a frame in memory with a particular
pattern
 and then with the strike of a keystroke get it to change the pattern so
that based
on visual difference we can measure any inherent lag (latency) in the
technology.

I have tried the VLC player (mostly based on the LIVE555 libraries) and
noticed a
1.5 - 2 sec delay, but certainly would not want to use that to pass a
judgment on
rtsp streaming using LIVE555.

1.	Is this 1.5 - 2 sec lag an inherent problem with LIVE555 or is it
the VLC player
that is causing the lag?
2.	We are evaluating LIVE555 as a possible technology for our
application but
we do absolutely need <1 sec of lag when streaming video.  Is this possible
using live555?

Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience. Any help in this regard
would
be seriously appreciated.

Thanks,

Nikhil