[Live-devel] Multicast_Problem

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Sep 5 07:13:50 PDT 2007

>Hi...
>
>I can't able to play the mpeg video in VLC player when I started
>testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer(I have enabled the compiler flag
>IMPLEMENT_RTSP_SERVER in code) . I have specified rtsp url on
>VLC(with multicast address)

NO!  The "rtsp://" URL does *not* contain the multicast address.  The
correct "rtsp://" URL will be displayed by
"testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer" (on its stderr output) when it
starts out.  Use that.

If it still doesn't work, then make sure that
1/ Your file "test.mpg" is really a MPEG-1 or 2 Program Stream file, and
2/ Your client (VLC) is on the same LAN as the server
(testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer), or, if not, there is IP multicast
routing set up between the server and client networks.  If you don't
have multicast routing between your server and client networks, then
you will need to use unicast streaming ("testOnDemandRTSPServer" or
"live555MediaServer") instead.