[Live-devel] RTSP Server 'Keep Alive' support

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Sep 11 14:57:19 PDT 2007

>Wondering if the liveMedia/RTSPServer.cpp code has support for 'Keep
>Alive' functionality ?

Yes.  Note the "reclamationTestSeconds" parameter (default value, 45
seconds) in "RTSPServer::createNew()".

>I see from the source code that it accepts the GET_PARAMETER calls and
>responds to the client, but doesn't seem to do anything regarding the
>session.

Yes it does.  The server treats either an incoming RTCP "RR" packet,
or any RTSP command (not just "GET_PARAMETER") as indicating client
liveness.

Note, though, that if you requested RTP-over-TCP streaming, then
(because of software limitations) the server will not see any RTSP
requests after "PLAY".  However, incoming RTCP "RR" packets will
always be handled (and used to indicate client liveness).

All standards-clompliant RTSP/RTP clients should send RTCP "RR" packets.