[Live-devel] [Question] Streaming transmission rate of liveMedia Server

syoon7 at gatech.edu syoon7 at gatech.edu
Wed Apr 2 07:35:58 PDT 2008

Hi all,

First of all, I'm totally a beginner in Streaming world.
So, please forgive me if I say incorrect or meaningless
things.

I'm analyzing Live555MediaServer to find out how
the server decides its transmission rate!

For a research purpose, I'd like to fix the transmission rate of a
specfic RTP streaming service for MPEG video
regardless of any environmental changes including the change of
an available network bandwidth.

To simplfy my work, I'm focused on MPEG1 Video with
VLC client player. When I reviewed some source codes,
I saw some clues such as fDurationInMicroseconds, but
I'm now sure even those are real clues for my work.

Q1. I'd like to know how liveMediaServer adjusts the interval of
each packets that will be streamed to the client through the network,

However what I want is to fix its interval manually
(not dynamically adjusted but statically fixed) without concerning
even the status of the buffer on the client side.

Q2. On the other hand, are there any effective ways for the client
to report its desired transmission rate to the server?
Probably, sending a RTCP packet ? or any other ways welcome.

Thanks in advance.

--