[Live-devel] VLC and stb don't play "trick play" streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Apr 7 09:10:12 PDT 2008

>VLC playback this stream fine, pause works fine too, but then
>I try to do FastFoward or FastBackward the stream starts play fast for
>about a one second and after that picture disappears.
>
>Furthermore, I've tried do do FastFoward or FastBackward on amino stb
>and trick play didn't work fine there too: the picture is broken
>after I've press FF or FW ...

This seems to be a problem for some - although not all - transport
stream files.

>It seems what MPEG2TransportStreamTrickModeFilter produce non-standard
>transport stream.

No, that's not correct at all.  If you run
"testMPEG2TransportStreamTrickPlay", you will see that the resulting
Transport Stream files (for fast-forward or reverse play) are OK.
However, their bitrate is significantly larger than than the original
file, and that may cause problems (e.g., network packet loss) on some
networks/systems.