[Live-devel] how do we run a live MPEG4 (aud/vid) RTP-over-http stream in VLC (live555)?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Apr 11 16:29:34 PDT 2008

At 7:24 AM -0700 4/11/08, "s s" <s27672 at gmail.com> wrote
>We are trying to run a live MPEG4 (aud/vid) stream in VLC (0.8.6)

Who's "we"?  GMail?  I don't think so.  Your use of a "@gmail.com"
email address tells me that you're a casual hobbyist rather than a
serious professional.  That's OK, but be warned that people who use
unprofessional email addresses (e.g., "@gmail.com", "@yahoo.com",

>but have not had success.
>The stream is in RTP-over-http format. I understand VLC uses the
>live555 library.
>
>Upon seeing a RTP stream, does live555 get invoked properly in VLC?

Yes, provided, of course that you're using the RTSP protocol.

>Media attribute - control:rtpoverHttp:// ...

This is not a standard.  In VLC, if you want to use RTP-over-HTTP
streaming, then you must explicitly configure it:
	Preferences... -> Input/Codecs -> Demuxers ->  RTP/RTSP
	Then click the "Advanced" check box
	Then click the "Tunnel RTSP and RTP over HTTP" check box

If this doesn't work, then please post the (publically-accessible)
"rtsp://" URL of the stream, so I can test this myself.