[Live-devel] Visual 2005

Brian Gitonga Marete brianmarete at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 07:49:41 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Andreas Färber
<faerber at pi4.informatik.uni-mannheim.de> wrote:

>  Am 11.04.2008 um 14:34 schrieb Ross Finlayson:
>

>  >> No, only when running Windows. And he mentioned OSX recently.
>  >
>  > No, noone mentioned building for Windows on OS X.  When I build the
>  > code for Windows, I do so on Windows (XP), using a version of "Visual
>  > Studio" that understands Makefiles
>
>  You did mention testing the previous bugfix on OSX.
>
>  And my point is, just because Microsoft makes something available free-
>  as-in-beer it's no compelling reason for everyone to actually use it,
>  especially not in a multi-platform environment, such as yours
>  apparently.
>
>  Rather than running Visual Studio 2005 Express and maintaining
>  separate project files here or elsewhere, it might work better to
>  generate the project files from the Makefiles. The Mono project does
>  that with a shell script.

How about using Cmake? It will automatically generate both UNIX make
files and Microsoft Visual Studio Solution files. And the input files
are extremely simple to write, especially for a project like live555
which is essentially self contained. The downside is the requirement
that, especially for UNIX people, one extra program needs to be
installed. (Cmake). Would be interested in a patch that allows live555
to be compiled using Cmake?

--
B. Gitonga Marete
Tel: +254-722-151-590