[Live-devel] Calculating rtptime for RTSP/PLAY-Response "RTP-Info" header

Chris Burns Chris.Burns at abdeus.com
Thu Aug 7 18:37:47 PDT 2008

The crux of my question concerns the *delta* that a reference
implementation (Helix USM) applies to one of the rtptime=X values that
is reported in the RTP-Info header. All of our testing (with ~30
different brand/model combinations) has shown that this is critical for
many mobile phones to correctly apply A/V sync.

The live555 code (the 2008.07.25 release) does not adjust (calculate a
delta) the RTP-Info header in this way. It simply reports the seqNum &
rtptime of the first packet on each stream.

And while you may think that RTSP/RTP/RTCP clients should not use the
RTP timestamps, these phones are doing just that. Wouldn't it be nice if
we could play nicely with them too?

Cheers & thanks for all your hard work and excellent code.

ChrisB

Chris Burns
M: +64 21 391 286
chris.burns at abdeus.com