[Live-devel] Calculating rtptime for RTSP/PLAY-Response "RTP-Info" header

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Aug 8 22:22:17 PDT 2008

First, let's make sure that we're talking about the same thing.  I
assume that you're referring to the way that our RTSP *server*
implementation fills in the "RTP-Info:" header that it includes in
the response to each RTSP "PLAY" request.  If you're instead
referring to something else, then please correct me.

>The crux of my question concerns the *delta* that a reference
>implementation (Helix USM) applies to one of the rtptime=X values
>that is reported in the RTP-Info header. All of our testing (with
>~30 different brand/model combinations) has shown that this is
>critical for many mobile phones to correctly apply A/V sync.

What exactly is this 'delta', and which RFC (or Internet-Draft)
document defines it?

>The live555 code (the 2008.07.25 release) does not adjust (calculate
>a delta) the RTP-Info header in this way. It simply reports the
>seqNum & rtptime of the first packet on each stream.

I believe that the information that we put in the "RTP-Info:" header
is correct.  It is the information defined in section 12.33 of RFC
2326 (the RTSP specification).