[Live-devel] NAT and RTCP

Jerry Johns Jerry.Johns at nuvation.com
Tue Aug 26 09:07:10 PDT 2008

Hey Ross,

               If I would like to go ahead and use a NAT with UDP
streaming mode, how would I facilitate this? I have a similar behaviour
where after 45 seconds, I get a liveness timeout due to the inability of
RTCP packets (i.e receiver reports) to get to the streaming server from
the client. Can I statically forward the RTCP ports ahead of time in the
router? My hunch tells me the RTCP ports are dynamically set by the
stack and so cannot be forwarded easily - the streaming over TCP option
works well in VLC, and no timeouts do occur (but that involves using
only VLC). Quicktime unfortunately does not support transmission over
TCP (they do RTSP over HTTP), and it's absolutely imperative for our
client that the stream be present in Quicktime.

Are there any solutions you can recommend for streaming over UDP over
the internet, unicast? I saw an RFC spec where you can do "a=rtcp:53020
IN IP4 126.16.64.4" to mitigate this dynamicness - (RFC 3605). A simple
grep in the liveMedia source code shows that we don't support this
currently

Thank you,

Jerry