[Live-devel] reclamationTestSeconds in TCP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Dec 6 00:46:36 PST 2008

>    I have an RTSPServer dealing with RTP_UDP clients and
>reclamationTestSeconds set to 45s.
>    RTSPClient-s say they are alive by sending a GET_PARAMETER
>command every 20s.
>    Everything works fine.
>
>    Now I'd like to use the same server with RTP_TCP clients. I see
>that they send the GET_PARAMETER command, nevertheless the server
>deletes the stream after reclamationTestSeconds seconds.
>
>    1) Is right using reclamationTestSeconds with RTP_TCP clients? If
>yes, where is my mistake?

It's not your mistake.  There is a known problem with the current
"LIVE555 Streaming Media" code: If RTP-over-TCP streaming is used,
then incoming RTSP commands (after the initial "PLAY") will not be
recognized by the server.

In the meantime, if you want to use RTP-over-TCP streaming with our
server, then you should *not* send RTSP commands as 'keep alive'
indicators.  Instead, you *must* send RTCP "RR" packets.  Note that
RTCP is a *mandatory* part of the RTP specification, so if your
client does not send RTCP "RR" packets, then it is not in compliance
with the standard, and you cannot expect a standards-compliant server
to work with it.