[Live-devel] How to invoke second ( and subsequent) streams on live555 media server?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Dec 8 17:20:25 PST 2008

>So, when live555 Media Server starts up, it prints out a url of the form
>*rtsp://serverip:serverport.*
>
>Running a media client, I can start up a unicast stream by providing a
>url of the form *rtsp:/serverip:serverport/file_to_be streamed.
>*
>Now, when I want to run a second stream, say of the same file delayed by
>30 seconds, is that allowed?

 From the server's point of view, yes.  Our server can handle multiple
requests for the same, or different, streams, at arbitrary times.

Most RTSP *client* applications, however, do not support playing more
than one stream.  Although VLC is not our software, I'm fairly sure
that that is true for VLC (when used as a RTSP client).  Therefore,
if you want to use VLC to play more than one "rtsp://" URL (or the
same "rtsp://" URL at different times), then you will need to run
more than one copy of the VLC application.