[Live-devel] GroupsockHelper.cpp and weird problems with long startuptimes for applications

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Feb 18 13:27:58 PST 2008

I've found that the existing approach - send a multicast packet,
receive it, and look at the source address - is the most reliable
way, for most people's systems, to find their source address.  If
that fails, we try calling gethostname()+gethostbyname().  The
combination of those two methods seems to work for most people.
(Remember also that we want code that will work on Windoze systems as
well as Unix.)

Those rare people who have weird systems for which this doesn't work
are welcome to write their own implementation, of course.