[Live-devel] Axis camera

xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com
Wed Feb 20 09:14:54 PST 2008

> I'm trying to use the openrtsp program in order to connect to an
> Axis camera ( axis 207 ) unsuccesful!!!
> All seems to go well, I sand to camera all the right commands (
> DESCRIBE, PLAY, and so on..) but when i can see in the shell
> "Receiving streamed data", I cant save the data in a file.
> The program creates the file, but it's empty ( its dimension is 30 Byte
).
> The parameters I use are:
>
> openRTSP -d 10 -S 54 -n -F prova rtsp://192.168.3.140/mpeg4/media.amp
>
> I tried to use it also without -S option and with -4 option, but the
> result is the same.
>
> There is someone can help me, please?

I worked on a Linux system and had a similar symptom for a couple
different problems.

1. The first problem was the multicast configuration of the network.  On
my system it worked if we enabled IP forwarding and also enabled multicast
specifically.  I combined all the suggestions I'd seen on this list and
websites, and this combination of commands solved the problem on my
system. (Although there could(?) be some security issues with enabling IP
forwarding; I couldn't really say whether or not it's a "good idea.")

$> su root
$> /sbin/route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth1
$> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
$> /sbin/ifconfig eth1 multicast
$> netstat -r -n

2. The second problem was that after a software update, the "camera" I had
began sending RTP packets which indicated they were RTP version 1.0
packets and not version 2.0 packets.  The RTP packets were being discarded
because they were mis-labeled. (I'm not sure if this was LIVE555 behavior
or the behavior of some other part of our system now.  It's been awhile.)

Good Luck!
xo