[Live-devel] GroupsockHelper.cpp and weird problems with long startuptimes for applications

Morgan Tørvolt morgan.torvolt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 22:32:22 PST 2008

> Because they will want their email address to indicate the name of
>  their company or school, to show that they have one.  Otherwise (if
>  they just use a "@gmail.com", "@yahoo.com", "@hotmail.com" etc.
>  address), most people (including I) will assume that they are simply
>  a casual hobbyist, not affiliated with an Internet-savvy company or
>  school).  (Not that there's anything wrong with being a casual
>  hobbyist; they are welcome on this mailing list, but they risk not
>  getting as much attention as professionals.)

So, let me get this straight. If you got an e-mail from
nrkbeta at gmail.com, you would possibly not help those people out very
much if they had a strange problem? You see, these guys are the
testing and development bunch at NRK, Norway's stately owned and run
media company. They have three country wide terrestrial coverage TV
channels, a whole bunch of radio channels (analogue and digital) as
well as having satellite coverage of most of Europe north of Italy and
Spain. Possibly one of the best TV and Radio production offices in the
world audio and video quality vice ). This gmail address is their
official address. You will find it if you go to www.nrkbeta.no
(www.nrk.no is the main page).

If my first assessment was right, you are actually to some extent
disregarding any smaller and obviously a few larger companies requests
just because they choose to not run their email services themselves,
but rather use a free online service? In my opinion that could prove
to be bad for business. I believe more and more technological
companies, especially smaller ones (which possibly could be your
biggest user group), woud rather spend time developing than
maintaining a email service. Also, even you must admit that gmail is
pretty sweet from a business point of view, calendar, office tools and
all =)

-Morgan-