[Live-devel] the computation of RTP timestamp

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Feb 27 21:49:17 PST 2008

>Can anyone tell me why it compute the timestamp this way? Why there is a 0.5?

We add 0.5 so that values whose integer fraction is >= 0.5 get
rounded up, and values whose integer fraction is < 0.5 get rounded
down - when the value is converted to an integer.

In any case, you shouldn't care about the RTP timestamp computation.
Instead, you should treat it as a 'black box', into which you feed
presentation times (at the sender end), and get back presentation
times (at the receiver end).