[Live-devel] MPEG4 streaming source to FIFO/Buffer

Robin Penea robin.penea at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 07:04:35 PST 2008

Hi everyone,

I've been spending a few hours to find any technical solution to this
problem :

I want to send the MPEG4 stream I get from an IP Camera (Axis) to my piece
of software which does motion analysis.
Until now I've been able get the MPEG4 stream and save it to a file using a
sligthly modified version of openRTSP.
 Then I open the file in my program and I extract the frames using the
library OpenCV (in fact it uses ffmpeg to do it).
I have tried to do more or less the same using testMpeg1or2VideoReceiver,
but I can't see where i can input the username
and password (it is absolutely mandatory to have it for me) for the camera.

1. My goal is to avoid the file saving, because I need a live processing, so
I thought about using a named pipe... Could you
give me any clue about the subclasses I should create or modify ? I've read
about FramedSource and DeviceSource.. but
I'm not sure of which one I should modify. This library is quite big, and I
don't know from which side start !

2. My other question is about the named pipe... I also thought I should use
a "home made" buffer (a char* or anything...).
This way i could have a complete control on the flow of data (i already did
that in MJPEG). Linked to the preceding question,
what class should I study/modify/grow ? Can you tell me which solution is
the most reliable ?

3. Bonus question : do you think ffmpeg is able to decompress frames coming
from a buffer ? I made a few try on a file, but I have no ideas on
the behavior when it is in this particular context.

Thanks in advance.

--
Robin Penea