[Live-devel] MPEG4 streaming source to FIFO/Buffer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jan 2 14:39:50 PST 2008

>I want to send the MPEG4 stream I get from an IP Camera (Axis) to my
>piece of software which does motion analysis.
>Until now I've been able get the MPEG4 stream and save it to a file
>using a sligthly modified version of openRTSP.
>  Then I open the file in my program and I extract the frames using
>the library OpenCV (in fact it uses ffmpeg to do it).
>I have tried to do more or less the same using testMpeg1or2VideoReceiver

That will never work, because the stream is not MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video.

>, but I can't see where i can input the username
>and password (it is absolutely mandatory to have it for me) for the camera.

You should continue to use "openRTSP", using the "-u <username>
<password>" option.

>1. My goal is to avoid the file saving, because I need a live
>processing, so I thought about using a named pipe... Could you
>give me any clue about the subclasses I should create or modify ?

You should not need to write any more LIVE555 code; "openRTSP" should
already be able to give you what you want.  Just run it with the "-v"
option, to tell it to output the receive video stream to 'stdout'.
Then, write your analysis application so that it reads from 'stdin',
and just run

	openRTSP -v -u username password  rtsp://whatever |
your-analysis-application

Notice the "|" character, which tells the shell to pipe 'stdout' from
"openRTSP" into 'stdin' of your-analysis-application.  You should not
need 'named pipes' for this, if your analysis application reads from
'stdin'.