[Live-devel] Streaming an Mpeg-2 program stream

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jan 16 18:14:16 PST 2008

>It seems LiveMedia doesn't have provision to stream an Mpeg-2
>Program Stream without demuxing to elementary streams. Yet RTP has
>provision to stream an Mpeg-2 program stream without demuxing.

Yes, but noone implements this (at either the server or client ends),
so it's not useful.  It would also be nontrivial to implement at the
server end, because we would need to parse timestamp data within the
Program Stream.

>  This is useful for example in cases when a program Mpeg-2 stream
>might include private data that LiveMedia doesn't recognize.

If you want to do this, then you should convert your Program Stream
data to Transport Stream files (e.g., using our
"testMPEG1or2ProgramToTransportStream" demo application), and stream
the Transport Stream files.  Streaming MPEG Transport Stream files is
very common, and well-supported by both servers and clients.