[Live-devel] H263-1996 rtp question

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jan 21 17:36:40 PST 2008

>I am working on setting up a streaming environment where a number of
>different RTP payload types are involved, and currently I am looking
>into reading a H263 stream (the original "H263-1996" type, not H263+).

That's fine.  The newer RTP payload format can (and should) be used
to stream either H263+ *or* the original H.263.  Therefore, to stream
H.263, you do not need to implement anything new.  Just use our
existing "H263plusVideoFileServerMediaSubsession" and
"H263plusRTPSink" classes (for sending) and "H263plusVideoRTPSource"
(for receiving).

>So I have been looking and comparing the H263 and H263+ RTP spec's to
>see how much work there would be to possibly implement it

The old H.263 RTP payload format specification (RFC 2190) is now
*obsolete*, and should not be used.  As noted above, use our existing
H.263+ RTP payload format (RFC 2429) implementation instead.