[Live-devel] Compiling on VS2008

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jan 24 06:45:27 PST 2008

>I have several questions concerning the LGPL:
>
>1.  Does the LGPL allow you to modify the source files in order for
>the package to build successfully on your target platform?

Yes, of course, provided that you make your modifications (to the
"LIVE555 Streaming Media" code, not your own code) available if you
distribute a product based on these modifications.

>2.  You can only link to the library and cannot mix live555 source
>code with my own source code?

You can mix LIVE555 source code with your application, but if you do,
your application becomes a "derived work", covered by the LGPL.

>3.  Is it possible to address #3

???

>  above officially by modifying the distrubution to include the
>correct header?  From what I've read online the header strstrea.h is
>from the old DOS days where files were limited to 8 characters.

The problem is that older versions of Visual Studio (including
"Developer Studio 97 (Visual C++ 5.0)", which I use) use the header
name "strstrea.h".  If someone were to propose a modification to the
"#if" code (at the start of "groupsock/Groupsock.cpp" and
"groupsock/NetInterface.cpp") that would accommodate both these older
versions of Visual Studio, and newer versions, then I will modify
these two files to include it.

>4.  Is it possible to include a Visual Studio solution in the
>distrubution to make it more convenient for Windows developers to
>use live555?
>5.  Is it possible for live555 to generate adequate makefiles for
>Windows systems with development environments newer than Visual
>Studio 2003?

I have no current plans to change this.  (These days, fewer and fewer
people seem to be using Windows for development of system software.)
However, I have added a link to your 'instructions' page to our
overview page <http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/#config-windows>.