[Live-devel] Compiling on VS2008

Eric Flickner eric.flickner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 04:35:46 PST 2008

I have gotten the library to compile on VS2008 by following these steps:

1.  Follow instructions located here:
http://letsgoustc.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!89AD27DFB5E249BA!167.entry
2.  Modify TOOLS_32 directory to the equivalent directory in a VS2008
installation.
3.  Modify several of the header files to point to <strstream.h> instead of
<strstrea.h>.

I have several questions concerning the LGPL:

1.  Does the LGPL allow you to modify the source files in order for the
package to build successfully on your target platform?
2.  You can only link to the library and cannot mix live555 source code with
my own source code?
3.  Is it possible to address #3 above officially by modifying the
distrubution to include the correct header?  From what I've read online the
header strstrea.h is from the old DOS days where files were limited to 8
characters.
4.  Is it possible to include a Visual Studio solution in the distrubution
to make it more convenient for Windows developers to use live555?
5.  Is it possible for live555 to generate adequate makefiles for Windows
systems with development environments newer than Visual Studio 2003?

Thanks,

Eric