[Live-devel] openRTSP client and RAW udp

Marco Amadori amadorim at vdavda.com
Fri Jan 25 08:23:11 PST 2008

Il Friday 25 January 2008 16:26:14 Ross Finlayson ha scritto:
> >For testing and comparing purposes, I would like to ask if it could be
> > easy to add  a "--raw" command line parameter to openRTSP client in order
> > to let it ask live555Media server to stream via raw UDP.

> No, I won't be doing this, because RTSP-initiated streaming via
> raw-UDP is *not* a standard, and I do not want to encourage its use.
> Our server supports it only because one non-standard, but popular
> client (the Amino set-top box) uses it (but cannot handle standard
> RTP-over-UDP streaming).

> Please DO NOT deploy any RTSP client products that request streaming
> via raw-UDP.  As I noted above, this is NOT a standard.  (The Amino
> set-top boxes work by misusing the RTSP protocol in ways which were
> not intended, and which have not been well-documented.)

Thanks for the quick answer.

I know this is not standard, and I can assure you that our product will use
RTP, but we just need to ease tests against present products, so we need to
put us under the same conditions.

> Raw-UDP streaming can work only for data types (such as MPEG
> Transport) that contain their own, embedded timestamps, and prevent
> the use of standard RTCP-based techniques for measuring QOS,
> requesting retransmission (for reliability) etc., etc.  I would like
> to see it die eventually.

Our previous product content is like that, prebuilt TS with embedded
timestamps and we need to cope with that. Our previous product was in that
way similar to Amino's way of displaying TS. The new one can handle RTP but
we have not a big iron machine, MPEG2 TS demultiplexer on embedded system
handle TS and cannot buffer too much, so TS must be really multiplexed and
timestamped right.

It is possible to control the delivery of RTP packets with some Real Time
control, which source file should I look to check, and eventually fix that?

--
ESC:wq