[Live-devel] openRTSP client and RAW udp

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jan 25 07:26:14 PST 2008

>For testing and comparing purposes, I would like to ask if it could be easy to
>add  a "--raw" command line parameter to openRTSP client in order to let it
>ask live555Media server to stream via raw UDP.

No, I won't be doing this, because RTSP-initiated streaming via
raw-UDP is *not* a standard, and I do not want to encourage its use.
Our server supports it only because one non-standard, but popular
client (the Amino set-top box) uses it (but cannot handle standard
RTP-over-UDP streaming).

Please DO NOT deploy any RTSP client products that request streaming
via raw-UDP.  As I noted above, this is NOT a standard.  (The Amino
set-top boxes work by misusing the RTSP protocol in ways which were
not intended, and which have not been well-documented.)

Raw-UDP streaming can work only for data types (such as MPEG
Transport) that contain their own, embedded timestamps, and prevent
the use of standard RTCP-based techniques for measuring QOS,
requesting retransmission (for reliability) etc., etc.  I would like
to see it die eventually.