[Live-devel] Creating a RTSP stream from DVB-T hardware card

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jul 11 21:32:33 PDT 2008

>>Does the unchanged "testMPEG3TransportStreamer" demo application work
>>correctly when you stream a Transport Stream *file* that you
>>previously recorded from your capture device?  It should, but if -
>>for some reason - it doesn't, then do not proceed to step 2 :-)
>It does indeed.

OK, now:
1/ Can VLC play this same file (directly; not via a stream)?
2/ If you enable "testMPEG2TransportStreamer"s built-in RTSP server
(by uncommenting the line
	#define IMPLEMENT_RTSP_SERVER 1
), then can VLC play the stream?

>>No, the "MPEG2TransportStreamFramer" also has the job of (1)
>>accumulates the incoming Transport Stream packets into groups of 7,
>>so that they end up getting packed into outgoing RTP packets
>>efficiently, and (2) computing the presentation time and duration of
>>each Transport Packet, so that the outgoing RTP packets get
>>transmitted with appropriate spacing between them.  You should
>>continue to use the MPEG2TransportStreamFramer" object.
>>--
>OK, I understand that now, and have re-enabled the framer object.
>This solves the buffer errors I was getting, and both openRTSP and
>libnemesi (another RTSP client) show the stream has been
>successfully created. However, VLC is still unable to play the
>stream.

Try receiving the stream using the "openRTSP" client instead.  Check
whether you receive a proper Transport Stream file (that you can
play, directly, using VLC).