[Live-devel] Creating a RTSP stream from DVB-T hardware card

Ryan Walklin ryanwalklin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 22:03:32 PDT 2008

On Jul 12, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Ross Finlayson wrote:

>>> Does the unchanged "testMPEG3TransportStreamer" demo application
>>> work
>>> correctly when you stream a Transport Stream *file* that you
>>> previously recorded from your capture device?  It should, but if -
>>> for some reason - it doesn't, then do not proceed to step 2 :-)
>> It does indeed.
>
> OK, now:
> 1/ Can VLC play this same file (directly; not via a stream)?

Yes, TS filed saved from EyeTV stream fine.

> 2/ If you enable "testMPEG2TransportStreamer"s built-in RTSP server
> (by uncommenting the line
> 	#define IMPLEMENT_RTSP_SERVER 1
> ), then can VLC play the stream?

I have already enabled the RTSP server in my code.

>>> No, the "MPEG2TransportStreamFramer" also has the job of (1)
>>> accumulates the incoming Transport Stream packets into groups of 7,
>>> so that they end up getting packed into outgoing RTP packets
>>> efficiently, and (2) computing the presentation time and duration of
>>> each Transport Packet, so that the outgoing RTP packets get
>>> transmitted with appropriate spacing between them.  You should
>>> continue to use the MPEG2TransportStreamFramer" object.
>>> --
>> OK, I understand that now, and have re-enabled the framer object.
>> This solves the buffer errors I was getting, and both openRTSP and
>> libnemesi (another RTSP client) show the stream has been
>> successfully created. However, VLC is still unable to play the
>> stream.
>
> Try receiving the stream using the "openRTSP" client instead.  Check
> whether you receive a proper Transport Stream file (that you can
> play, directly, using VLC).
This isn't working either, i get a zero-length file.

I've emailed Elgato as well, as changing some of the parameters in the
server code affects the plugin code (Which shouldn't happen!)

Thanks for your ongoing help.

Regards,

Ryan