[Live-devel] Live555 with ffmpeg's MJPEG codec

Silvain Beriault silvain.beriault at larus.com
Mon Jul 14 12:21:36 PDT 2008

> Don't forget to also set "fPresentationTime".
Ok I am setting it properly now, using gettimeofday(), however why is it
needed in the case of a jpeg frame? Also, since my code runs on a
windows platform, I had to download a custom implementation of this
function.

> I can't help you with codec (or VLC) problems.  However, I suggest
> that you first use "openRTSP" with the "-m" option to receive each
> frame as a separate file.  If your server code is correct, then each
> such received file should be a single JPEG image, which you can try
> viewing with image viewing software.  That may help you debug your
> problem.

If I don't use live555 it works just fine: i.e. encode to a memory
block, decode from a memory block.  I tried comparing the original jpeg
compressed data with the received data and it seems that the jpeg header
is broken. Could it be that JPEGVideoRTPSink fails to reconstruct the
original JPEG header for some reason? I'll try running openRTSP now.

Silvain