[Live-devel] setMediaSessionParameter Response

Grae Cullen tua57044 at temple.edu
Wed Jul 16 18:27:04 PDT 2008

Hello,

    Thanks, a lot for the very quick response.

>I'm not totally sure I understand your question, but once a
stream
>has begun, any changes in codec parameters are best conveyed
within
>the media stream itself - and therefore, of course, the client's
>decoder has to be able to handle any such dynamic changes.  In
>particular, changes to PPS and SPS are best handled by having
the
>server just send new NAL units (in-band) that contain the new
values.

    I kind of agree with you about the SPS and PPS.  It does
makes sense to send them in band.  I am by no means an expert
at this kind of thing.

>It's not a good idea to expect the server to signal such
changes back
>to the client (in the 'control channel').

    I guess I still would like some sort of signal back from
the server out of band.  This is because the client would have
a hard time telling when the changes were to take effect,
without the some sort of control message.  I guess I could
maybe parse each NAL unit to see if it a new different SPS or PPS.

    Is it very hard to rewrite setMediaSessionParameter()?  I
haven't looked at the code, but imagine you having to read the
response data anyway, and then the program just chooses to
drop it.

> you couldn't expect many clients to be
>able to handle this anyway.

    My group has to rewrite the live555 module in vlc, and the
video on demand rtsp code in vlc.  I am not sure which module
that is in the code.   However, since we only have two and
half weeks left, and still have to write paper and make
website, I doubt I will have time to finish all I want to.
That being say, I would like to leave some kind of clear
information for the remaining students, and the group coming
in next summer.  (It is summer research.)

    Anyway, thanks for you help.  If you have anything else
you think I should know, please do tell me, it will probably
help me or them.

Thanks,
Grae Cullen

God Bless you