[Live-devel] setMediaSessionParameter Response

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jul 16 18:37:43 PDT 2008

>     I guess I still would like some sort of signal back from
>the server out of band.  This is because the client would have
>a hard time telling when the changes were to take effect,
>without the some sort of control message.

Why?  I don't understand.  Your decoder is
receiving/decoding/displaying MPEG-4 (H.264?) data.  At some point,
during the stream, the data parameters change (in some way).  But
these data parameters are already represented (or can be represented)
in-band - i.e., within the encoded data.  So why can't your decoder
just recognize and handle the change of parameters, when this occurs?

If you just make sure that your decoder can handle in-band parameter
changes, then you won't need to change any RTSP server or client
code, and your application will be more portable (to different
servers and clients).