[Live-devel] hang on connect() of sendOptionsCmd with invalid address

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jul 21 15:06:37 PDT 2008

>This is about https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1730
>It takes a long while before an invalid/non-present address is rejected.
>
>For instance we use: rtsp://10.90.33.109
>
>Now if live555 starts working on that, it hangs on connect() in the
>sendOptionsCmd(). The describeURL does not have this problem. It
>returns quite quickly with: DESCRIBE failed with 0: connect()
>failed: Operation timed out

Actually, both "sendOptionsCmd()" and "describeURL()" should do the
same thing (call "connect()"), so I'm surprised that they behave the
same way in your case.  But anyway, if the call to connect() hangs -
as it is apparently doing here - then there's not much we can do.
(There's no 'timeout' parameter to connect().)  I'm not sure why the
connect() call is hanging when given an invalid address, though;
that's the real problem...