[Live-devel] Multicast Streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 3 01:39:55 PDT 2008

>I use the live library for my master thesis project and encountered
>the following problem.
>Everytime when I receive two different streams over multicast these
>two streams get merged.
>I have two different senders which use different multicast addresses
>but the same port number.

That's your problem - or, more precisely, the problem with your OS.
Some OS's (including some versions of Linux) have a bug whereby
incoming packets addressed to different multicast addresses, but the
same port number, are not distinguished.

The solution is simple: Use different port numbers, as well as
different multicast addresses.