[Live-devel] How to protect the RTP payload

Brian Marete bgmarete at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 08:33:31 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Francesco Matassoni
<tubo.catodico at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to protect an RTP stream coming from VLC, so i think to make a
> program that stand in the middle between a server and a client. My program
> take the payload from the RTP packet, protect them and then retransmits it
> to another port, always by RTP. I think to use this simple architecture:
> SimpleRTPSource --> MyFilter --> SimpleRTPSink, obviously the MyFilter class
> protect the payload. I have a couple of question about this:
>
> 1) Which class i need to subclass to create the MyFilter class? The
> MultiFramedRTPSource or simple the FrameSource?
> 2) The data that come to the SimpleRTPSink are no more video or audio data
> but this data ecnrypted; so is it a problem for the SimpleRTPSink or it will
> work even with this non-compliant data?

Hello,

I asked a similar question a few days ago on this list and received a
reply from Ross. (Search the mailing list for "RTP Translator").
Basically, if you do not need to modify the RTP headers and simply
want to protect the data, you should use the BasicUDPSource and
BasicUDPSink classes.

--
B. Gitonga Marete
Tel: +254-722-151-590